..... QUILTING FOREVER, HOUSEWORK WHENEVER .....

Monday, June 9, 2008

My Featherweight Baby.... Who knew!?

I have a Singer Featherweight! I have had it for years! Until I started quilting about 5-6 years ago I didn't know it's value, nor how a lot of quilters search to get their hands on one! So, imagine my surprise when I learned of this at one of my first quilting classes when I brought this machine to work with!!! Wow!!!

My mother's family moved to Canada from the Netherlands in 1950, and Grandma bought this little Singer beauty in 1954. Many 50's, 60's, and 70's outfits were made on this little machine. Even my mother's 1959 wedding dress was made on that machine by my grandmother's hands....

I recall many a time Grandma would let me play around on her little sewing machine. Eventually Grandma did not use it anymore and passed it on to me. I did not use it much as all it did was "straight" stitches, so when my own children started coming along we bought a Kenmore sewing machine from Sears. It has 18 different stitches, so for years that is what I sewed many clothing items for my family. I would not let my children play with "my machine", but I let them play around on my little Singer.... Big whoops!!!

When I started my quilting lessons I soon learned that my Kenmore was very heavy compared to the Singer, so I got the Singer serviced and ready to go! The singer rep said, "Do not let your children play on this little baby again!" 8-) The kids had mucked up the tension in the bobbin casing big time!!!

I used my little Singer for quite a while until my motor started to overheat whenever I used it, thus I switched back to my Kenny and, for whatever reason, I just put the Featherweight on the shelf. I think it is time to take the Singer in for a tune up and some doctoring..... Don't you? 8-)

Dora's daily ritual of cleaning Ruby't ears.... does Ruby look impressed!?! 8-)

1 comment:

Donna said...

featherweights are great for taking to classes -- so very portable and relaible...